Monday, May 07, 2007

May is a month of celebration...

May is a month to pay tribute to our mothers and teachers. Seriously, I can never remember the exact day or date to celebrate either. Is Mother's Day on the second Saturday of the month, or is it on the first Saturday? Is Teacher's Day on the 14th of May or does it change every year? Although I think the idea of having these special days is great, I also think that it is only a gimmick by those florists and "souvenirists". Hehe...hear me out before you brand me as unfilial or ungrateful.
.
Mother's Day
Yes, I think that it is a good idea to have a day dedicated to Mothers. But why do we only treat her extra nice on this day and on her birthday? I can already think of other "special days" that we can treat our mothers nicer other than those two days. Have you ever thought of including your mother when you are celebrating your birthday? After all, she had to be in hours of labour before you can have your "special day". Or have you thought of just treating your mother extra nice every now and then? Ok, so if you treat her nice every day, she might take your good gesture for granted and complain that you don't treat her especially nice on "special days", but it'd be good too if all of us treat our mothers nice everyday, right? So anyway, as I was saying, treating our mothers especially nice every now and then, including the special days will be much better. I'm sure you would like it too when you get special treatment unexpectedly just because of the way you are. I can never forget the little cards that I got from Patrine and William on a normal day, thanking me for being their friend. And I will always cherish the bouquets of roses I get from Brian every now and then. I think it is the unexpectedness that makes these things more special, rather than the predictable "getting a gift or a treat at some fancy restaurant routine" on Mother's Day/Valentine's Day/ Friendship Day and what nots.
.
.
Teacher's Day
I still do not understand why there is this celebration. I do not think many teachers actually enjoy having to celebrate this day at school either. A holiday for teachers would be nicer compared to the traditional celebration at school. I mean, what's the point? Adding another workload for teachers who are responsible for organizing the celebration, taking another day off from the more beneficial teaching and learning session, forcing teachers to make a fool out of themselves in front of their students etc etc. I wonder why nobody has complained about it? And the litle gifts that students get for their teachers? I think they are wonderful gestures, but I don't think teachers appreciate them also la. So why bother? The best way to show your appreciation towards your teachers is to respect them and a simple heartfelt thanks after you graduate/ no longer attending the teacher's classes. Trust me, unless you get the teacher some really expensive stuff or you engrave his or her name on it, the gift that you give the teacher will be recycled or given away in less than a month!
.
.
Well, whether or not you are celebrating these much-hyped-up days, here's a wish to all of you mothers and teachers or teachers-to-be:
.
.
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY and HAPPY TEACHER'S DAY and HAPPY JIAWENIST READER'S DAY
.
.
..
.
And of course, Happy 1st Anniversary to my Sweetheart. =) LOVE YOU!!

No comments: